Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Goosebumps

Buon giorno a tutti!!!!!

Wow, I am in awe at all the awesome things yall are doing. Especially the fact that Katherine is on the MIT Indian Dance team??! THAT IS SO COOL!!!! Indian dance is so fun. I'm very happy here in Italy because there's lots of Indian culture that pops up everywhere- to the extent where sometimes I feel like I'm in the Indian/the middle east instead of in Italy. I love it!

Well, this p-day has been super fun and interesting. First of all, this morning I was able to play the violin which was loaned to one of the senior couples by a member for me to use, which I'll be playing on for zone conference and the sacrament meeting before christmas. I found a pretty good arrangement of O Holy Night with the piano, and it was so fun to whip out the old instrument and play on it this morning! It's actually a pretty good violin too. I'm so grateful and excited to share my talents! I've been able to do it a lot more than I was ever expecting to. Later on, we got to go into the arena here in Verona, which is basically like the Colosseo in Rome. It was SO COOL!!!! I took a million pictures. We were able to get a really good view of the city including the beautiful piazza below with all the stands they have up for the christmas market going on right now. Speaking of the market, we spent about an hour and a half there just wandering around and found a lot of really cool Italian things! Verona is just so awesome and diverse. 

Besides all the wonderful sights and cultural experiences, we've also had a great week of missionary work! :) We saw some really cool miracles. Last Saturday, I think it was, we were doing some finding work in an area where we go pretty often. But this time we shook it up a little bit by carrying around a white board that had the question "What makes you happy at Christmastime?" on it. We got some pretty good results out of it and met people on all different sides of the spectrum. One experience in particular stood out among all the others. We were walking along on the sidewalk and decided to stop a lady who was walking past. We asked her the question that was on the board and her response was a little unexpected. She said that Christmas always makes her cry. It was never really clear why exactly that was, but we did discover that this woman had recently gone through a very trying physical experience and was really seeking the comfort of God in her life. We asked if we could offer a prayer with her and she readily agreed. As I was praying that she would be able to recover completely, regain her memory and her strength, etc. she continued to say "Amen" after every phrase. At the end she was in tears and we each gave her a huge hug. It was an experience never to forget. We were able to go see her again at her home yesterday, and I can say that I really feel true charity for her. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to offer my love and the love of God to people who are in need!  

Verona is just full of Christmas cheer. I say it at the beginning of all my journal entries and I'll say it again here. I feel pretty dang lucky to be able to spend two Christmases in Italy!! That experience that I related was one of many this week where we were able to come in contact with someone who is truly prepared for the gospel. On another occasion we were knocking on doors and a man opened up who, when we said we were missionaries, he stopped us, pointed to his arm which had goosebumps all over it, and basically said he had been waiting for us. All these experiences have reinforced to me that God answers prayers because at the beginning of last week I was praying so earnestly that we would be able to find someone in this city who needed the gospel in their lives and was prepared to receive it. And we found a sackful of them! (un sacco!) 

Vi voglio un SACCO di bene, tutti quanti. Continue finding the joy in life, especially during this Christmas season. :)

Buona settimana!

Love,
Sorella Lyman
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment