Buongiorno tutti!!
Well, the cold has finally hit in Verona. It's actually been pretty nice up until about two days ago when it rained and the temperature plummeted pretty dramatically. I'm just wondering if it will manage to snow this year- the last time I saw snow was last year in Milano! What I can't believe is that I am now in my 11th transfer, which means next transfer is my last. I'm not really sure what to think about that. Isn't it weird how time passes so quickly? I really realized that I'm an old missionary this week when I had both of my babies (my trainees... I call them my babies ) in Verona with me at the same time!! Sorella Hoffman had to come here because Sorella Acerson had to come back to Verona to get her permesso. I didn't even know they were coming until the day of! What really blows my mind is that Sorella Hoffman is in her 5th transfer! That was the transfer when I trained Sorella Haslem!! Mamma mia, my babies are all grown up. :o
This week we were able to see two people that we've been bending over backwards to try and see since before the holidays! It was truly a miracle. The first was a less active family who we went to see on Monday. The parents are members and they have two sons who are not. One of them was there to sit in on the lesson along with a family friend who is usually there when we go to see them. Both of them, the son and their friend are really trying to find the truth in their lives! There are just a couple of things that are inhibiting them. We taught them the Plan of Salvation and it was actually the first time in a while that I've taught that lesson. One of the things I like the most about the Plan of Salvation is that God gave us the choice to accept the plan, and everyone who is here on the earth made that choice. That means that everyone has the capacity to accept the gospel and return to God one day because they've already made the choice once before! I love agency! It gives so much more purpose to this life to think that we chose to come here and that we didn't just pop onto the earth happenstance. And I love it when I'm teaching and I can see that the message is resonating in the person through the way they listen and the look they have in their eyes. What made me so happy about this lesson is that at the end we asked them what they thought they could do more to return to God. We then talked about church and why we go, and they gave us a solid commitment that they would come in two weeks! Success! I don't think it would've happened if they hadn't have felt the spirit so strongly in the lesson.
We were also able to see an investigator yesterday who right now is taking her time to decide to get baptized. It was a miracle that we were able to finally see her and we were able to talk with her heart to heart about everything. She really reminds me of myself in a lot of ways
because she really wants a testimony but just doesn't want to make any moves until she's received a sure answer and has a true desire. Hmm, that sounds a lot like me deciding to go on a mission! But we also talked to her a lot about the plan of salvation, bascially just bearing our testimonies and telling her how much we love her. The relationships you have with people as a missionary aren't quite like anything else. There is a certain trust and a certain power that enables you reach out specifically to them in the way that they need. It's a feeling that I'll treasure forever!
I hope you all have a wonderful wonderful week. Remember who you are, where you came from, and the potential that you have! (to return to Heavenly Father and become like him!)
Love,
Sorella Lyman